Is the festive season around the corner, and you are unsure how to hang that wreath? In the guide below, I will take you through several ways how to hang a wreath on a fiberglass door. Discover the best methods and tips for maintaining your door’s integrity while adding a touch of charm to your home’s entrance.
We are no longer in the days when the Christmas season was the only season for wreaths.
Unfortunately, things have changed as wreaths are becoming an every-season product.
A wreath helps you send a certain message despite the occasion or season.
They are commonly used during Christmas, but still, they can be used during Halloween, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, and other occasions.
In this blog post, we’ll unveil a repertoire of techniques that will make hanging wreaths on your fiberglass door a breeze.
Whether you’re a craft aficionado or a novice DIY enthusiast, we have something for everyone.
Discover the wonders of removable adhesive hooks, which offer a seamless and damage-free solution.
We’ll guide you through the simple steps of applying these hooks to your door and ensuring a secure hold for your wreath, all while maintaining the door’s pristine appearance.
Not a fan of adhesive solutions? No problem! We’ll also explore the magical world of ribbons and decorative wires.
Learn how to fashion an elegant hanger for your wreath, allowing it to gracefully suspend from your fiberglass door.
For those with metal doors, we haven’t forgotten you! Discover the magnetic marvels of wreath hangers, designed specifically for the enchanting embrace of metallic surfaces.
And let’s not overlook the classic charm of over-the-door wreath hangers.
With their timeless design and effortless functionality, these hangers provide a reliable option for those seeking simplicity and convenience.
In the guide below, I will take you through a few ways to hang a wreath on a fiberglass door easily with just a little creativity.
Top 8 Ways To Hang A Wreath On A Fiberglass Door.
Many people admire wreaths on other people’s doors but get stressed about achieving the same on their doorsteps.
Wreaths are perfect decorations to celebrate any holiday and you don’t have to worry about how to handle them.
They are among the best ways you can welcome visitors to your home.
1) Buy A Wreath Hanger
A wreath hanger is a no-fuss mode of hanging your wreath.
If drilling a hole through your door is a big deal to you, then a wreath hanger is one of the choices you have to hold your wreath in place.
The hangers come in different shapes and sizes, giving you an option to choose from depending on your wreath and door’s size.
Since they usually go over the top of your door, if it is thick, then it might be tricky to close your door when need be.
They are designed so that one end hangs on top of the door while the other end hooks around the wreath.
When purchasing a wreath hanger, ensure that it fits correctly by confirming its thickness and space between your door and door frame.
2) Utilize Self-Adhesive Hooks
Self-adhesive hooks such as the command hooks are excellent choices for hanging wreaths and other accessories on your glass door or even window.
Adhesive hooks will also help prevent the back of the wreath you have hung on the door from scratching it.
This method of hanging your wreath will not damage your door at all.
When purchasing a command hook, ensure to confirm the weight of your wreath.
Command hooks can hold a weight of up to 3 pounds, so it’s important to factor in the weight of your hook.
Before affixing the hook, ensure to clean the door thoroughly.
The cleaning will help clear any dirt or dust that may hinder the adhesive at the back of the hook from sticking to the door as expected.
To clean the door rubbing alcohol or even Windex together with a clean paper towel will serve the purpose.
Normal cleaning wipes can also be used to clean the glass door. Once clean, it’s time to fix your adhesive hook and hang your wreath.
3) Use A Ribbon And An Upside-Down Picture Hook
Picture hooks always have an adhesive on their back surface.
Purchase a hook that will carry your wreath weight without falling off.
Stick the hook on the door from inside the house.
Since you will be attaching a ribbon to the hook, place the hook upside down.
Then cut a string or ribbon into your desired size.
Tie the ribbon around the hook and pass the ribbon to the outside over the door. Tie the wreath using the ends of the ribbon.
Having the hook fixed on the inside part of the door makes you not worry about how you will remove it, unlike when it’s on the outside.
You can even leave the hook on the inside for other future uses.
4) Use The Door Knocker To Attach The Wreath
A door knocker is a wooden or metal bar attached to the doors.
The knocker helps to draw the attention of the home occupant by anyone on the outside.
If your fiberglass door has a door knocker installed in it, it can be easy to hang your wreath there temporarily till the specific season is over.
If your door knocker is up high the door, you can use it to secure any ribbon or a string with your wreath attached to it.
On the other hand, if the knocker is lower, you can use it to support the base of the wreath while still securing it with double-sided tape against the door.
The door knocker will act as the base on which your wreath will rest, while the tapes will be used to keep it in place.
If you feel all the above options to be too much for you, looping your wreath around the door handle, knob or lever can be a good choice too.
The only disadvantage of hanging your wreath from the doorknob is that the wreath will be too low, and it may keep on falling when one attempts to open the door.
It will also be a nuisance when closing or opening the door.
5) Use Suction Cups With Hooks
Suction cups with hooks are the number one option for people who love being discrete.
If the idea of having ribbons running over your door or having picture hooks on it annoys you, then suction hooks are the next best thing for hanging your wreath.
When buying the suction hooks, ensure to buy the right one that will hold your wreath’s weight without being overwhelmed.
It is advisable to use lighter wreaths as they are easy to hold and do not damage doors with their weights.
When purchasing the suction cups, please do not buy just any but rather opt for the extra strength suction cups with hooks as they will hold better on the glass door and hold the weight as expected.
6) Attach Your Wreath Using The Double-Sided Tape
Double-sided tape is versatile and can be used to mount items, including a wreath, to a myriad of surfaces.
It is usually coated with adhesive on both sides enabling it to hold two surfaces together.
Unlike other forms of holding the wreath, the double-sided tape does not involve the suspension of the wreath.
It is very convenient since it will not be dislodged when the door swings when the visitors open it.
Double-sided heavy-duty tape available on Amazon can only be used on smooth surfaces such as glass, ceramic, or even marble. They cannot be used on rough surfaces like a brick wall.
To fix the wreath on your door, strategically put the tape at the back of it and tenderly press the wreath upon the door so that the tape can stick as well.
7) Utilize The Magnetic Hooks
A fiberglass door does not have any magnetic fields for a magnetic hook to attach.
Therefore, in this case, we shall use 2 hooks, one on the inside and the other outside the door.
We will use a magnetic hook with neodymium magnets since they are best suited for fiberglass surfaces.
Always pick a magnetic hook with the strongest fields. A strong magnetic field holds the hook in place thus it does not slide down due to the fiberglass door thickness.
8) Just Drill That Screw In.
Drilling a screw into your fiberglass door is not impossible. Nevertheless, it should come as the last option when all other options have failed.
When not done correctly, drilling can leave your door with a crack and unsightly marks.
Armed with protective gear, follow the below steps to drill a screw into your fiberglass door.
- Use a pencil trace where you would want to drill the hole to hold your screw on the door.
- With a Brad point drilling bits 1/16 inches less than the screw, drill a hole in the door. Use the lowest speed possible.
- Progressively increase the drilling speed until you get to the desired depth.
- Insert the screw hook into the hole with the help of a screwdriver, and then hang your wreath as desired.
How to Hang a Wreath Without Making Holes in the Door
- Removable adhesive hooks: Removable adhesive hooks are a popular choice for hanging wreaths without causing any damage. They are available in various sizes and weight capacities, so be sure to choose one that can support the weight of your wreath. These hooks typically have a pull tab or adhesive strip that allows you to remove them without leaving any residue or marks on the door. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper application and removal.
- Ribbon or decorative wire: This method offers flexibility and customization. You can use a wide ribbon or decorative wire that complements your wreath’s design. Attach one end of the ribbon or wire to the back of the wreath, creating a loop or hanger. The length of the ribbon or wire will depend on the height at which you want to hang the wreath. Open the door slightly and place the ribbon or wire over the top of the door, allowing the wreath to hang on the front side. You can also secure the ribbon or wire with a small piece of tape on the back of the door to prevent it from slipping.
- Magnetic wreath hangers: Magnetic wreath hangers are specifically designed for metal doors. They typically consist of two strong magnets—one placed on the inside of the door and the other on the outside. The magnets create a strong magnetic attraction that holds the wreath securely in place. Ensure that the magnets are positioned properly and that the wreath is centered and balanced. Magnetic wreath hangers are easy to install and remove, leaving no marks or damage on the door.
- Over-the-door wreath hangers: Over-the-door wreath hangers are a convenient and versatile option. They are typically made of metal or plastic and have a hook on one end that hangs over the top edge of the door. The other end of the hanger holds the wreath. Choose a wreath hanger that fits securely over your door without scratching or damaging the surface. These hangers are readily available in various styles and designs to match your decor.
Before using any of these methods, make sure to check the weight capacity of the hanging solution and ensure that it can support the weight of your wreath.
Additionally, be careful not to scratch or damage the door surface when attaching or removing the hanging solution.
What are some other types of adhesive hooks that can be used for hanging wreaths?
- Outdoor adhesive hooks: If you plan to hang your wreath on an exterior door, consider using outdoor adhesive hooks. These hooks are specifically designed to withstand outdoor conditions, such as changes in temperature and exposure to moisture. They provide a reliable and long-lasting hold for your wreath, even in challenging weather conditions.
- Heavy-duty adhesive hooks: If you have a larger or heavier wreath, you may need hooks with a higher weight capacity. Heavy-duty adhesive hooks are designed to support more substantial items. They typically have a stronger adhesive backing and a sturdier construction to ensure a secure hold. Be sure to check the weight capacity of the hook to ensure it can support the weight of your wreath.
- Clear adhesive hooks: If you prefer a more discreet hanging solution, consider using clear adhesive hooks. These hooks are transparent, making them blend seamlessly with the door surface. They are a great choice if you want your wreath to be the main focus without any visible hooks distracting from its beauty.
- Damage-free adhesive strips: Some adhesive strips are specifically designed to be damage-free, meaning they won’t leave any residue or marks when removed. These strips often use a technology that allows them to adhere strongly to the surface while still being easy to remove without causing any damage. They can be a great option for hanging wreaths on doors without leaving any trace behind.
- Wire-backed adhesive hooks: Wire-backed adhesive hooks are a popular choice for wreath hanging. These hooks have a small adhesive pad on one side and a wire loop or hanger on the other side. The wire loop provides a convenient attachment point for your wreath. Simply peel off the backing of the adhesive pad, press the hook firmly onto the door surface, and hang your wreath on the wire loop. They are generally designed to be removable without causing damage to the door.
- Adjustable adhesive hooks: Adjustable adhesive hooks offer flexibility in terms of height and positioning. These hooks typically have a movable or extendable arm that can be adjusted to your desired length. This allows you to customize the height at which your wreath hangs. Adjustable adhesive hooks are useful if you want to create a specific look or if you have a door with unusual dimensions.
- UV-resistant adhesive hooks: If you plan to hang your wreath in an area exposed to direct sunlight, UV-resistant adhesive hooks are a wise choice. These hooks are designed to withstand the damaging effects of UV rays, ensuring that they remain securely attached to your door over an extended period. UV-resistant adhesive hooks are particularly useful for outdoor wreaths that are exposed to sunlight for long durations.
- Waterproof adhesive hooks: For wreaths that are hung in areas prone to moisture or humidity, such as bathrooms or kitchens, waterproof adhesive hooks are ideal. These hooks are made with materials that are resistant to water and moisture. They provide a reliable hold, even in damp environments, and are less likely to lose their adhesive properties due to exposure to moisture.
- Decorative adhesive hooks: If you want your wreath hanging solution to be visually appealing, consider decorative adhesive hooks. These hooks come in various designs, shapes, and finishes, allowing you to choose a style that complements your wreath and door decor. Decorative adhesive hooks not only serve a functional purpose but also add a touch of aesthetic charm to your wreath display.
What are some other types of Over-the-Door Wreath Hangers That Are Suitable for Fiberglass Doors?
- Adjustable Over-the-Door Wreath Hanger: This type of hanger usually features an adjustable design that allows you to customize the height at which your wreath hangs. It typically has a padded hook that fits over the top of the door, protecting the fiberglass surface from scratches or damage. Look for hangers with adjustable length options to ensure a proper fit for your door.
- Foam-Padded Over-the-Door Wreath Hanger: These hangers have a foam padding or coating on the inside of the hook, which helps protect the door from scratches or marks. The foam padding provides a cushioned grip and prevents the hanger from sliding or slipping off the door. Look for hangers with a sturdy construction and a wide hook that fits securely over the top of the door.
- Magnetic Over-the-Door Wreath Hanger: Magnetic hangers are a convenient option for fiberglass doors. They use strong magnets to hold the hanger in place without the need for hooks or adhesives. The magnets provide a secure attachment without causing any damage to the door surface. Look for magnetic hangers with a strong magnetic force and a design that fits well over your door.
- Clear Plastic Over-the-Door Wreath Hanger: Clear plastic hangers are a discreet and lightweight option for fiberglass doors. They are typically made of durable plastic and have a simple hook design that fits over the top of the door. The clear plastic material blends well with the door, making the hanger nearly invisible.
When choosing an over-the-door wreath hanger, consider the weight and size of your wreath to ensure the hanger can support it properly. Also, check the dimensions of the hanger to ensure it fits securely on your door.
Factor To Consider When Hanging A Wreath On A Fiberglass Door.
Below are 3 factors that should guide you on how to hang a wreath on a fiberglass door during the holidays.
i. The Kind Of Door
Different products in the market have been created in a way that they can only work best on certain surfaces.
Some work on smooth surfaces like glass or tile, while others perform well on uneven surfaces such as brick walls.
Before making any purchase ensure you know the kind of surface, the product will be used on.
For instance, 3M double-sided command strip is very good on the wall as when removing them; they do not peel the wall paint.
There are also waterproof strips perfect for wet areas such as the bathroom.
ii. The Weight Of The Wreath
Different wreaths have different weights and designs.
Even though they are not as heavy, wreaths need to be installed correctly to avoid falling off and getting damaged.
Always consider the weight of your wreath against what you are purchasing to hang on.
iii. What You Are Using To Hang The Wreath
Always hang your wreath or any other art in your house with the best and strongest product.
The holding strength should be your guide. You should be comfortable; your wreath is safe and not worried about falling off and getting damaged.
Final Thoughts On How To Hang A Wreath On A Fiberglass Door.
Wreaths are not only for the Christmas season but they can be used to make a statement on various occasions. They can pass a message during seasons such as Halloween, Easter, New Year, etc.
Unlike wood and metal doors, hanging a wreath on a fiberglass door can be tricky and needs creativity.
Depending on the size and occasion, we have various wreaths suitable for everyone.
Therefore do not stress yourself wondering how you will hold your wreath in place.
In the guide above, I have explained several ways to hang a wreath on a fiberglass door with less difficulty.