There many ways out there on how to remove fluoride from water cheaply, some of them are straight out rip-offs.
Others will require you to part with a significant amount of your money to have the systems installed.
In this article, we will discuss proven, ideal, and cost-effective ways on how to take out the fluorine in your water, ensuring that the water coming out your faucet is safe to drink.
Water dosed with fluoride can be detrimental to health, causing diseases like dental and skeletal fluorosis, thyroid problems, and neurological problems.
However, small doses of fluorine are quite helpful to bodily functions.
The challenge is on how to take the minuscule, tasteless molecules out of the water. Below are some of the budget-oriented that you can use.
Effective Ways on How To Remove Fluoride From Water Cheaply
Employed in most of the large-scale water treatment plants where overwhelming amounts of fluoride and arsenic trapped in the groundwater.
Activated Alumina ordinarily referred to as aluminum oxide; due to its high absorption rate, it attracts the fluorine in the water.
Activated alumina filters can lower the fluorine concentrations to below one ppm, or down to 99% of the average fluoridated water level.
For it to work effectively, the water pH level has to be lower than 6.5.
The drawback of working with activated alumina is that you have to keep changing the cartridge more often.
Probably one of the archaic techniques of water purification. In one way or have distilled water in your kitchen, left the cooking pot with water in it and circumstantially left it to boil till it starts to evaporate and droplets of water collect on the ceiling fan. Aha! You’ve distilled water.
Dating eons back the distillation process was employed to remove the salt from seawater; This would entail bringing the water to boil until it evaporates, leaving the salt behind and collecting the droplets in another container.
Notwithstanding distilling the water was quite expensive and time-consuming, this was until the invention of the Kleinschmidt Still during world war II.
Making it rather cheap and efficient to distill the water.
Due to the improvement in technology, modern-day distillers are small enough to be placed on kitchen countertops.
Most of the household distillers in use are designed in a way that the water is manually poured into them or a plumbed distiller where it’s fitted directly into the water supply and distill the water automatically.
The downside to distillation is that this method also removes some of the essential minerals from the water, and thus it is advisable to remineralize the water to increase its pH for optimal water quality.
3. Bone Char Carbon / Brimac Char
Brimac Char is a rare form of activated carbon, produced by firstly cleaning the cow bones (bovine) then sun-drying the bones for about ninety days, which later heat-treated at 800°celcius in a kiln without oxygen.
The sequent product is an amorphous form of carbon.
The char constituted of 10% carbon, 10% calcium carbonate, and 80% phosphate.
Because of its uncrystallized nature, the material is an efficient filter media and effective in adsorption.
Over the years in sugar refining industries, to decolorize the solvent sugar and filter out impurities.
Because of its amorphous nature, brimac also has the properties of filtering some of the heavy metals present in water.
One of the limitations of using bone char carbon is that it works well in acidic waters and not so effective in hard water.
4. Reverse Osmosis
The mechanism employed in reverse osmosis -RO entails the water passing against a concentration gradient and forced through a semipermeable membrane, which traps all dissolved solids, and pure water molecules pass through it.
Reverse osmosis is an effective way to remove most of the contaminants in the water.
Some of the advantages of the reverse osmosis system, simple to operate, cut down on water and sewerage costs, integration with other systems, is effortless, quick assemblage, and installation.
The RO systems employ a variety of purification processes; system filter, carbon filter, a semipermeable membrane, and ultra-violet light treatment. Where can the RO system be applied in your house;
- Under-sink treatment
- Refrigeration to ensure that the ice is a bit clearer and the beverages more refreshing.
- For agricultural purposes, it can be applied in hydroponic farming though not all plants do well with reverse osmosis water. Greenhouses and plants in small gardens are best suited for this system since high-quality water is predominant for hydroponic success.
- If you mostly draw water from a well, then the RO system is a splendid way to guarantee that water flowing out of your faucet is safe and contaminant-free.
- Businesses and industrial uses, the system filters out contaminants out of the water before being released back to the feed supply, saving resources by cutting down on wastages.
- Aquariums, are you a saltwater fish fancier then the RO system is your best bet? The RO system strips the water off all minerals, and via a remineralizing filter modifies the water to match the fish’s environment.
The system’s lifespan ranges from 10 to 15 years, the membranes and filters require periodic replacement averaging between six months to one-year contingent on the water conditions.
5. Survival still water purifier and desalinator
A non-electric water distiller probably the most effective purification system in case of an emergency.
Survival still requires only a source of heat to bring to a boil the water in its pot in the process, killing any bacteria and parasites present in the water.
Pure water rises as steam and is captured in the container above and is condensed back to water droplets, which flows out into a storage container.
Survival still is well suited for those lacking time and the necessary skill set for plumbing and construction.
At a relatively budget price plus its effective filtration system, the survival is a lifesaver.
Some of the benefits of survival still
- Doesn’t need any filters or power to run
- Effective in removing most of the toxic arsenic metal present in water
- Meets Red Cross and FEMA recommendations
- Never fails since there are no filters involved, hence a guarantee of lifetime performance.
- Durability is assured since no moving parts are involved and a Lifetime warranty.
6. Some of the recommended fluoride water filters for home installations
I. Home Master TMULTRA-ERP Ultra- Best Under Sink Filter
- Compared to the RO system, Home master TMULTRA-ERP uses a six-filtration system and is capable of filtering up to 98% of the dissolved contaminants. The filtration process comprised of; sediment filter, iron filter, catalytic carbon, and reverse osmosis.
II. iSpring RCS5T 500 GPD
- If you’re in search of a robust filtration system, then the iSpring RCS5T 500 GPD is your best bet. The system can dispense and filter a lot of water and thus widely used for commercial purposes.
III. Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2
- A countertop water filtration system can filter out up to 93% of the dissolved contaminants in the water. It employs a three-stage filtration system and dispenses out safe drinking water.
- Its compact design, portability, and long-lasting filters make this filter a must-have for most households.
IV. Aquagear Filter Pitcher
- Aquagear Filter Pitcher is an inexpensive and effective water filter comprised of ion exchange and carbon filter medium.
FAQs on how to remove fluoride from water cheaply?
1. What is Water, “Fluoridation?”
The process of intentionally adding fluoride to the water supply, although in some of the place’s fluorine occurs naturally.
2. Does Boiling Tap Water Remove Fluoride?
It is inadvisable to boil water because, unlike chlorine, which evaporates from water, fluorine concentration rises.
3. What does fluoride do to the body?
- Dental fluorosis, exposure to high levels of fluoride will lead to the development of white streaks, and specks on the enamel. Overall, teeth discoloration will be noticeable.
- Thyroid problems, excess intake of fluoride can lead to impairment of the parathyroid gland. Hence leads to having higher than the average calcium concentrations in the blood and depletion of the bone structures.
- High blood pressure and heart failures
- Rupture of the stomach lining
- Early puberty in girls, lower fertility, and reproductive issues
4. Do Water softeners remove fluoride?
Water softeners have a zero effect on the levels of fluoride present in the water.
Typically, water softeners react chemically through a process known as ion exchange. Water softeners are effective at neutralizing the positively charged magnesium and calcium ions, responsible for water hardness.
Hence fluoride levels remain when hard water turns into soft water.
5. Does reverse osmosis remove fluoride?
Reverse osmosis is by far the most effective way to defluorinate tap water.
Through the use of a semipermeable membrane, most of the water contaminants get trapped, allowing only water to pass through.
Water flowing out of the RO system is by far the safest to take due to the rigorous process the system employs.
6. Why do some cities add fluoride in water?
Governments had imposed regulations on water companies to inject small doses of fluorine into the water, intending to lower the persistence of tooth decay menace.
However, research has shown that exposure to high levels of fluoride can be detrimental to health.
7. Does my water have fluoride in it?
The chances are that if you’re in the United States, probably you’re ingesting fluoridated water. As much as 75% of the country’s water supplies have fluorine dosing stations.
Best Ways to reduce fluoride exposure
1. Cut down the uptake of processed beverages
Beverages out there are mostly manufactured with highly fluoridated water, with some of the levels exceeding the required safe amount.
Also, avoid consuming sugary drinks because they contain acidic carbonate responsible for tooth decay.
2. Keep off fluoride supplements
Introduced in the late fifties, these tablets and lozenges, acted as supplements to children living in un-fluoridated regions and mostly used to prevent tooth decays and dental caries.
However, a high dosage of the supplement leads to weakened ligaments, and bone structure coupled with teeth discoloration
3. Stay away from Fluoridated Salts
Because of its benefits, governments like the United States have advised its manufacturers to add fluorine in the salt.
Research has proven that the health risks of consuming fluoride outweigh the benefits, and thus, it’s advisable always to check that you are buying the un-fluorinated salt.
4. Avoid the use of Teflon-coated pans
Commonly referred to as non-stick pans, the special coating prevents food from sticking to the surface of the pan, making cleaning quite easy.
Over time the Teflon peels off raising the exposure to fluoride content during cooking.
On the other hand, the use of stainless-steel cooking pans cuts the exposure to a bare zero.
How to remove fluoride from your body expeditiously
1. Iodine supplements
2. Adding boron to your daily intake
3. Eating turmeric, a great antioxidant agent
4. Fulvic acid the most reliable source of electrolyte capable of flushing fluorine at a cellular level.
5. Tamarind tea, helps in detoxifying the body.
Wrap up! On How To Remove Fluoride From Water Cheaply
Finally, an answer to the question, How To Remove Fluoride From Water Cheaply?
Fluorine plays some vital role in water treatment.
Albeit it has serious health implications, and thus nowadays the battle wages on have safe and clean drinking water.
Though there are no medical linkages that ingesting fluorine can lead to cancer, its adviasable to keep flourine exposure to a bare minimum.
For parents its prudent to instruct their children not to swallow the toothpaste and to properly rinse therir mouths.
I hope that you will find practicable solution from the above discussed ways, to ensure that the water flowing out your faucet if fluoride free.