Mirror, mirror on the wall, can I write to you after all? If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, you’re not alone. The most common writing tools for a mirror include whiteboard markers, paint pens, acrylic paint, neon dry-erase markers, chalk markers, and Sharpies. These techniques are inexpensive and simple to undo.
Many of us have considered using our mirrors as a canvas for creative expression, but we’re hesitant because we don’t want to damage the mirror’s surface.
The good news is that several markers can be used to write on mirrors without causing permanent damage.
In this post, we’ll explore the best markers for different types of mirrors and provide tips on cleaning and maintaining your mirror’s surface after writing on it. So get ready to unleash your inner artist and transform your plain old mirror into a work that will come off!
What Can I Use to Write on a Mirror? – How To Write On A Mirror
It’s the assumption of many that a mirror is to only look at yourself. But this thought process is fast changing, as mirrors find their way into various sectors, such as art, scientific lenses, and decoration.
A great way to change the outlook of a mirror is to write on it.
You might have probably seen it in a horror movie where people find scary writing in bathroom mirrors, romantic gestures between couples, or even a reminder from a family member.
Have you ever wondered what was used? Well, keep reading on to find out more.
You might have probably seen lipstick writings on the mirror in one or two horror movies.
The essential ingredients in lipstick are oil, pigment, and wax, which makes it an excellent mirror marker.
The oil and wax in the lipstick make your writing legible.
This is because the wax helps your writing stick on the mirror without getting smudged, while the oil ensures you can quickly form clear letters.
And the pigment ensures that they are visible to every passerby, making the writing hard to miss.
Before using lipstick, be warned that cleaning it off the mirror is difficult. Because of the wax and oil, lipstick is greasy, making it hard to wipe it off with a cloth.
You’ll need specialized tools like water, a microfiber cloth, and cleaning solutions to clean up.
Therefore, you should think hard if you want to use lipstick to write on your mirror.
2. Chalk Marker
Chalk markers are not the regular chalks used to write on boards and walls. They are ideal in mirror writing as they are easily erasable.
They also come in many color ranges. And that’s why they are loved by the artsy people who can come up with whatever they wish in any color.
Chalk Markers have a double-sided tip which allows one to switch to either side depending on your tip size preference.
Once thoroughly dried, chalk markers give a powdery outlook, making your mirror look as posh as possible.
And since the writing can be easily erased, chalk markers are the best tools for writing in the mirror. You only need a wet microfiber cloth to wipe the powdery ink off your mirror and polish it.
3. Whiteboard Markers
Whiteboard markers are a basic necessity for writing in schools and offices. They comprise a solvent, color pigment, and silicon polymer(oily). These elements allow the markers to stick to the non-porous mirror surface easily.
The best part is they come in various colors and tip sizes, giving you freedom in your creativity.
Whiteboard markers are especially loved since they are easy to come off anything. You only need a damp cloth to accomplish this.
When shopping for whiteboard markers, please read the labels’ ingredients, as some have been reported to have methyl isobutyl ketone.
A harmful toxin that causes allergic reactions when it comes into contact with your skin. You may also experience irritation in your nose when you breathe the fumes.
Sometimes you may also experience headaches and nausea due to the fumes the marker paint releases.
4. Neon Dry Erase Markers
Are you looking for a tool that’s wholly and quickly erasable? Then neon dry-erase markers are just the thing for you.
These markers are the easiest to clean off all mirror writing tools.
The Neon dry eraser markers contain alcohol, resin, and isopropanol. These ingredients make it easy to stick on the wall after writing.
They come in different color ranges and tip sizes, bringing out many people’s artsy side and allowing them to get wild with their creativity.
Don’t worry about where to find them; your nearest bookshop already has them in large stock.
However, there’s no need for fancy cleaning solutions. Wipe your writing off using a damp cloth, and ta-da! Your mirror looks as good as new.
5. Sharpie Markers(oil-based)
Do you want a marker for the long term? If yes, oil-based Sharpie markers are your go-to writing tools. These marker types are known for their permanency compared to other markers used.
They do not quickly fade and are not prone to erasability with a single touch.
Oil-based Sharpie marker writings are also relatively straightforward and legible due to their pointy tips, making them a common go-to factor.
They are pretty thick, making it easy to handle them while writing.
You can wipe them off using cotton dampened with acetone. However, some effort will be needed to clean the marker off the mirror thoroughly.
This process is, however, the easiest way to get the marker off, as water will not clean it off.
6. Water Erase Markers
Wet-erase markers are made explicitly for writing on non-porous surfaces like mirrors. They are made of water, dye, and propylene glycol paste.
Additionally, they are ideal for people with allergies as they are non-reactive due to their solubility in water.
Moreover, they are also easily erasable; you only need a damp, unused cloth or paper towel to clean your mirror surface.
If you have a child who tends to write on surfaces, they shouldn’t. Consider providing them with a sharpie and a whiteboard as a solution to make your life more comfortable and enjoyable.
7. Acrylic Paint Pen
Are you looking to add a flawless dreamy feel to your writings on the mirror? An acrylic paint pen is your best bet.
True to their name, acrylic paint pens have acrylic paint in them, giving those great aesthetics when writing.
Additionally, these paint pens don’t require you to wash their brushes and pallets when done.
You only need to open them up once you finish making your mirror art.
Acrylic paint pen marks, however, fade very quickly, requiring you to re-write on your mirror.
The dry spots also chip and crack, making your dreamy aesthetic writing look like a madman’s scribbles.
These features could motivate the artsy type to develop something new now and then.
Read More about How To Cover Glass Doors For Privacy At Home
What can you write on the glass that washes off?
- Washable window markers: These markers are similar to regular window markers but are specifically designed to be washable. They are water-based and can be easily removed with water and a cloth or sponge.
- Lipstick or makeup pencils: If you don’t mind using personal care products, you can use lipstick or makeup pencils to write on the mirror. They can be easily wiped off with a tissue or cloth.
- Washable paint pens: Look for washable or water-based paint pens that are suitable for use on glass surfaces. These pens allow you to write or draw on the mirror and can be removed with a damp cloth or glass cleaner.
- Temporary adhesive decals or stickers: If you prefer not to write directly on the mirror, you can use temporary adhesive decals or stickers. These can be found in various designs and shapes, and they can be easily removed without leaving residue or damaging the mirror.
- Liquid window markers: Liquid window markers are similar to window markers but come in a liquid form. They often have an applicator brush or sponge tip, making it easy to write or draw on the mirror. These markers can be removed with water and a cloth or sponge.
- Chalk or chalkboard markers: Chalk or chalkboard markers can be used on mirrors as well. They provide a chalk-like appearance and can be easily wiped off with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Temporary adhesive foil or film: Another option is to use temporary adhesive foil or film that is specifically designed for glass surfaces. These foils or films come in various colors and patterns, allowing you to create designs or messages on the mirror. They can be easily applied and removed without leaving residue on the mirror.
- Window crayons: Window crayons are similar to regular crayons but are specifically designed for writing on glass surfaces. They can be used on mirrors and are removable with a damp cloth or sponge.
How to Write on a Mirror
Mirrors can be a blank canvas for DIY mirror art, allowing you to transform your bathroom or bedroom with customized messages that reflect your personality and style.
- Clean the mirror: Start by cleaning the mirror surface to ensure it is free from any smudges, dirt, or debris. Use a glass cleaner or a mixture of water and mild soap to clean the mirror thoroughly. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth.
- Choose your writing material: Select the temporary material you want to use for writing on the mirror, such as dry-erase markers, liquid chalk markers, window markers, or any other suitable option mentioned earlier.
- Prepare the writing material: If you’re using markers, make sure to shake them or activate them according to the instructions on the packaging. This helps ensure the ink flows smoothly.
- Test on a small area: Before writing your message or drawing on the mirror, it’s a good idea to test the material on a small, inconspicuous area of the mirror. This ensures that it can be easily removed and doesn’t cause any damage or leave marks.
- Plan your design: Before you start writing on the mirror, it can be helpful to plan your design or message. You can sketch it out on a piece of paper or use a stencil to guide your writing. This can help ensure that your writing or drawing on the mirror is well-organized and visually appealing.
- Experiment with different colors: Depending on the writing material you’re using, you might have a variety of colors to choose from. Experiment with different colors to make your message or design more vibrant and eye-catching. This can be particularly fun for creative projects or special occasions.
- Add decorative elements: To enhance your message or design, consider adding decorative elements around the writing. You can use additional temporary materials like stickers, adhesive foil shapes, or even small drawings with washable markers to create a more visually appealing composition.
- Consider lighting and reflection: Keep in mind that writing on a mirror can create interesting effects with lighting and reflection. You can experiment with positioning the mirror in relation to light sources or other reflective surfaces to amplify the visibility of your writing or create unique visual effects.
- Start writing or drawing: Once you’re ready, use the chosen material to write or draw on the mirror. Take your time and be careful with your strokes to create the desired message or design. If you make a mistake, most temporary materials can be easily wiped off, allowing you to start again.
- Review and adjust: Stand back and review your creation on the mirror. If desired, you can make adjustments or add more details to enhance the overall appearance.
- Capture your creation: Once you’re satisfied with your writing on the mirror, consider taking a photo or video to capture the moment. It can be a fun way to document your creativity or share it with others on social media or with friends and family.
- Clean or remove the writing: When you’re ready to remove the writing from the mirror, use a damp cloth, sponge, or window cleaner, depending on the material you use. Gently wipe the surface, ensuring that all the writing is completely removed.
The Best Markers To Use For Different Types Of Mirrors
Several markers are commonly used for writing on mirrors, including dry-erase markers, liquid chalk markers, and window markers.
Each type of marker has advantages and disadvantages; the best one will depend on the kind of mirror you are working with and your specific needs.
Here’s a closer look at each type of marker and when it’s the best option for writing on mirrors:
Dry-erase markers are famous for writing on mirrors, particularly glass ones. They work well on smooth surfaces and can be easily wiped away with a dry cloth or eraser. Dry-erase markers come in various colors, are inexpensive, and are easy to find at most office supply stores.
When using dry-erase markers on mirrors, choosing a high-quality brand that will provide vibrant, long-lasting color without leaving smudges or streaks is essential. It’s also important to avoid using the markers on mirrors with an anti-glare or anti-fog coating, as the markers can damage the coating and make it difficult to see through the mirror.
Liquid chalk markers are another popular option for writing on mirrors, particularly acrylic mirrors. They provide a bold, opaque color and can be easily wiped away with a damp cloth. Liquid chalk markers come in a wide range of colors and are often used for creating artistic designs or custom messages on mirrors.
When using liquid chalk markers on mirrors, choosing a high-quality brand that will provide vibrant, long-lasting color without leaving smudges or stains is essential. It’s also important to avoid using the markers on mirrors with an anti-glare or anti-fog coating, as the markers can damage the coating and make it difficult to see through the mirror.
Window markers are a versatile option for writing on mirrors, as they can be used on all types of mirrors, including glass, acrylic, and anti-glare or anti-fog-coated mirrors. They provide vibrant color and can be easily wiped away with a damp cloth or eraser. Window markers come in various colors and are often used for creating temporary messages or designs on mirrors.
When using window markers on mirrors, choosing a high-quality brand that will provide vibrant, long-lasting color without leaving smudges or stains is essential. It’s also important to avoid using the markers on mirrors with an anti-glare or anti-fog coating, as the markers can damage the coating and make it difficult to see through the mirror.
Overall, the best type of marker for writing on mirrors will depend on the type of mirror you are working with and your specific needs.
By considering the benefits and best practices for each type of marker, you can make an informed decision and ensure that your mirror messages or designs turn out just how you want them to.
Take away on What Can I Use to Write on a Mirror?
Writing on a mirror is a creative way to personalize your space, leave notes, or add an artistic touch to your reflection. Whether you prefer the temporary versatility of dry-erase markers, the lasting impact of permanent markers, the classic charm of liquid chalk, or the vibrant colors of glass paint, the options are limitless.
It’s essential to test your chosen method in an inconspicuous area to ensure it can be easily removed or suit your specific mirror type. So, let your mirror be your canvas and express your thoughts and artistry, or simply add a touch of whimsy to your reflection.
Can I use regular markers on a mirror?
No, regular markers are not recommended for use on mirrors. They won’t adhere well and are difficult to remove. It’s best to use dry-erase markers, permanent markers, liquid chalk markers, or glass paint specifically designed for glass surfaces.
How do I remove permanent marker ink from a mirror?
To remove permanent marker ink from a mirror, use rubbing alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and gently rub the stained area. This should help lift the ink.
Are there any special considerations for antique mirrors?
Antique mirrors can be delicate, so it’s advisable to be cautious when applying any writing materials. Test your chosen method in a small, inconspicuous area to ensure it won’t damage the mirror’s surface.
Can I use mirror writing for events and parties?
Yes, mirror writing, especially with liquid chalk markers, is a popular choice for events and parties. It adds a touch of creativity and can be easily wiped clean when the event is over.
Is glass paint safe to use on mirrors?
Glass paint is designed for use on glass surfaces, including mirrors. It is safe and provides vibrant, long-lasting colors. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying and curing.
Can I use regular chalk on a mirror?
Using regular chalk on a mirror can be messy and difficult to clean. Liquid chalk markers are a better option for achieving a chalk-like look without the dust and smudging associated with traditional chalk.